build your own nimble network
use the hardware you already have. assemble with 3D printed parts. deploy!
what is it?
open Hardware. open firmware. Open software. open education
nimble Wins Best Overall Proof-of-Concept in the 2021 IEEE Connecting the Unconnected Challenge
257 entries from 69 nations, and $60,000 in cash prizes…and nimble rose to the top!
To learn more about the Challenge and the 2021 CTU Summit click here:
how do I build one?
Here are some potential use cases for the nimble:
- Disaster/Humanitarian response – Quickly build communications infrastructure for response coordination.
- Community Networks – Start a new network, or add offline content & services to your existing community-based network.
- Small-Scale ISP/Operator – Build a full-scale network that provides affordable and reliable services to your local area while generating revenue for growth.
- IoT Integration – Collect and disseminate sensor data through the network.
- Portable Homelab – Easy network transfer and setup for frequent travelers
- Rural schools and community centers – Conduct eLearning & provide educational content, offline or online.
- Remote events and festivals – Provide internet or offline content in remote areas.
- Field data collection, storage and sharing – Store and share data collected from mobiles on the go.
- Video and audio calling and messaging
- High-speed file-sharing and synchronization
- Voucher Sales – Share and sell access to your internet connection
- Wireless network management
- Social eLearning: build, run and take courses offline or online
- Accessing educational content – videos, books, courses
- Building and hosting local websites and blogs
- Media streaming
- Playing games and hosting game servers
- Collaborative document and spreadsheet creation
- Downloading files/torrents (like Kiwix education ZIMs)
- Social Networking and forums
- Reading and organizing e-books
- Building photo and video galleries
- Conducting surveys, polls and questionnaires
- Collecting ethical usage and traffic analytics
- Much more!
Ten. Ten thousand. More. It really depends on your objectives. Work with your community to define your needs and wants, then select the appropriate hardware/designs/architecture accordingly.
Yes! That’s the point. Build on what you already have. Our goal is to make that easier for you.
Yes! We are soon launching a e-store where anyone can buy a kit with all the 3D printed parts needed to build a nimble.
Just buy and add the hardware and you’re off(line)!
In the meantime reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for kits.
Get in touch!